Well, Karan Johar is tweeting about it, so that means it must be news.  Fine!  I will talk about the new Jagga Jasoos trailer!  And then as a reward for my good behavior, I will talk about the trailers I actually like.

I don’t have subtitles, but I don’t think I really need them.  Ranbir has a stutter and can only cure it by singing (twee twee twee twee twee!  If you want to see a stutter used as a good plot device, check out Su…Su…Sudhi Vathmeekan or Kaminey).

(Much better)

Ranbir finds evidence that his father, long thought dead, is alive.  Katrina comes to the small cutesy-wootsy mountain town where Ranbir is in school, Ranbir has a crush on her and hides her in his school.  They escape together.  Katrina is “adorkable”.  You know, super sexy clothes, flattering haircut and make-up, but with glasses and a flat affect so she’s “awkward”.

(Actually awkward.  Kajol, you break my heart!!!!)

Other people sometimes sing dialogue as well, because apparently Anurag Basu just re-watched Umbrellas of Cherbourg and thinks he can do it better.

(I know this isn’t Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but this one has Gene Kelly!  It’s better!)

Oh, and Ranbir’s hair is apparently like that on purpose.  That alone is enough for me to want to throw something at the screen.

And yet, shockingly, this is not the upcoming movie which makes me most frustrated!  That would be Partition 1947/Viceroy’s House.

Yet another movie that packages history as a kind of virtual reality experience.  Like entering a video game.  There is the servant who gives you a bit of backstory you need, the exciting street scene you have to escape, the fun-to-explore elaborate settings.  You come out of it thinking “I know everything about Partition!  There was the Muslim League and Jinnah and Nehru and Mountbatten And people wore really pretty costumes.”  But you don’t actually know anything about Partition.  You know how I know that?

If you come out of a historical film thinking “I know this and that and the other thing…..I wish I lived back then, it was so romantic!”, then you know nothing.  History is about thanking your lucky stars you DON’T live back then.  And a filmmaker who manages to both romanticize the past so that we want to live then, and load you down with facts and names and so on so that you think you have learned something, is being disrespectful to the real history.  Jodha-Akbar, say, was super romantic.  But we knew that, right?  You came out of it aware that there was a tiny pinch of facts, and it was mostly a romance.  It’s not tricking you into thinking you have learned something.

(We are all aware that there is no historical basis for Akbar looking super hot without a shirt, right?)

So I would say, instead of watching this movie, watch Gadar: Ek Prem Katha.  It doesn’t give you the big picture, but it gives you the visceral feel of it, what it really meant on the level of human tragedy, not on the level of “ooo, look at the pretty costumes!”

Moving on, the movies I am actually kind of looking forward to watching!  Mom, again.  I have to say, things are not looking good for poor Unknown Actress who plays the daughter.  This new trailer doesn’t really add much “plot”, it just layers on more “Sridevi is driven mad by vengeance” stuff.  I’m leaning towards either cult or gang rape for the thing that happened for which she wants vengeance.  Either way, I am way more interested in the visuals and performances (and songs!  Rahman!) than I am for Jagga Jasoos.  And feel like the message will probably be way more relevant than whatever half-baked thing Partition: 1947 comes up with.

Oh, and then for just cleansing fun, Mubarakan!  It’s not going to be a very good movie, it’s not going to make much money, but sometimes you just want to turn your brain of and enjoy yourself.

18 thoughts on “New Trailers! Jagga Jasoos, Mom, Mubarakan, Partition 1947: Guess Which One I am Most Interested In?

1. I actually liked the Jagga Jasoos trailer! It’s not that I want to see it for sure but I’m definitely more enthusiastic about the movie than you. Also, Jagga Jasoos reminds me of Ajab Prem Ki Gazab Kahani which I really liked as well!

• I think pretty much everyone alive is more enthusiastic about this movie than I am. Well, except for my friend Dina, who has already announced she refuses to watch it with me, even though we see every single new release every single Friday.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 1:52 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• If did cover my eyes last time the trailer popped up in theaters. Well, first I gave an audible “Oh no!” when I recognized it, and then I covered my eyes. And then I felt kind of bad if there were any Ranbir fans in the audience that I might have offended. But whatever, it’s a baaaaaaaaaaad trailer.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:14 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That trailer is so annoying! I’ve been seeing it since December. I hope that they at least replace it with this new trailer; I don’t think I can handle seeing it again :/

• I may be even less enthusiastic than you and your friend Dina. I don’t watch even popular Kartina’s movies and this one screams : DISASTER everytime I read something new about it.

• Karan re-tweeted it all enthusiastically, but I can picture him secretly thinking “God, what a dog of a film! This thing will never work”

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Why is Karan promoting Jagga Jasoos so much?!? I don’t think Dharma is involved in any way.

• He tweeted it with a nice comment about Katrina. I think he’s probably just doing it to be nice to Ranbir and Kat. A good relationship with them can help Dharma in the long run.

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, most of my friends don’t want to see it either. I have a friend who couldn’t handle seeing the trailer again when it played last time we saw a movie together.

2. Is it just me, or are directors really mining the Umbrellas of Cherbourg for material right now? What with La La Land and now JJ, although I don’t think LLL did it well at all. Also, I think that remake of Hawa Hawai is a travesty 😦

• It reminds me of Picasso. Like, Picasso made it look easy to deconstruct classical art because he had already so perfectly mastered “real” classical art. But then imitators came along and tried to skip that first step of mastering it before deconstructing it. It’s easy to do the deconstructing part, but it’s empty if you didn’t construct anything in the first place, you know? Anyway, watch Kaminey! That’s the stuttering musical film deconstruction of Indian film tropes we need.

Was that a remake of Hawa Hawai? I thought it was from the title, but then the tune had been so mixed and mashed and mooshed, I couldn’t even recognize it in the end.

• I like that, I think that’s a pretty apt description. I’ll def be putting Kaminey on my ever growing to-watch list!

And yeah, I wouldn’t have been able to tell either except that I managed to catch the chorus, and was thusly horrified!

• I agree! It looks like this is the director’s first film. Sometimes that can make people more experimental, because they have nothing to lose/feel like they have to make their mark.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 12:42 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. The Mubarakan title song is Hawa Hawa not Hawa Hawai.I really wish Badshah would stop massacring those lovely songs.I was so looking forward to Anil-Arjun chemistry.But then came Athiya Shetty and that horrible title song. Now I’ve lost all the interest for it.I agree with you about History.I just saw some Horrible Histories videos.They’ve made history appealing for the kids by making them funny.But they never hesitate from showing the gruesome or icky facts.I don’t think anybody would want to live in the past after seeing one of them.

I love Queen Victoria’s Empress of India Bollywood dance- complete with backup dancers.Sorry for the bad picture quality.But the lyrics just kill me.

• Oh man, that is the kind of thing I could fall into for hours and never come out!

Margaret

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 8:41 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Pingback: Classics Friday: Mughal-E-Azam, Hindi Films Biggest Film | dontcallitbollywood