Well, now Shahrukh is just super super mad at me.  Could he tell I’ve been cheating on him with Nivin Pauly and Madhavan?  Anyway, he not only posted this without subtitles, he posted it at the exact moment I was leaving for work, meaning I couldn’t watch it until just now.  If he had posted it as little as 15 minutes earlier, I would have been all set!  See, clearly jealous and hurt.  I’m sorry Shahrukh!  I will never stray again!

Well, we have our real love song!  Finally!  And it has more of the jigsaw puzzle hodge podge of images that we already saw in trailers for other songs, which has me VERY WORRIED.  Are we going to get no actual full songs?  Is it all going to be a bit here and a bit there and that’s why they have to keep filling up the trailers with clips from other stuff?  Boooo!

Although at least this one has some real lipsynching to it.  This has been a very lipsynch-y movie so far based on all the songs.  Which is one of the things that makes Imtiaz a little unusual among modern directors, his commitment to having people actually sing (or at least pretend to sing) in his movies.  I know Shahrukh’s character is supposed to be a singer.  But this goes a little beyond that, this is a “Mitwa” style song where he isn’t ACTUALLY singing, Imtiaz could have just as easily shot it all montagey and background music.  But he chose to show Shahrukh singing his heart out instead, making sure we make the connection between the actual words of the song and how our character is feeling.

As for how he is feeling, uff!  If this is his attempt to win me back after losing me (temporarily) to the south, he is doing a bang up job!  All the gazing is great, and the general sense of care for Anushka.  Not like sexiness (that was in the last trailer), but like he just wants to take care of her and spend time with her and help her be happy.  It’s shaping up to possibly be one of the romance classic plots, bad-boy-can’t-resist-normal-woman.  Not like bad-boy-reformed, who would want a reformed bad boy?  Boring!!!  No, bad-boy-who-is-still-bad-but-now-only-interested-in-you-because-you-are-great.  It’s Darcy.  He’s being Darcy.  We don’t want Darcy to turn into Bingley when he falls in love (blech, Bingley!  Sweet, but does he really make you feel all zingy inside?), we want him to stay Darcy for everyone else, but an extra special not-quite-Darcy just for you.

24 thoughts on “New Jab Harry Met Sejal Song, Hawayein!!!! All With the Longing Gazes and Loving Care

1. @AdiSRKian is a lovely twitter guy who lives in Mumbai who writes translations as fast as he can for the untranslated songs. Check him out. Its mostly Shah Rukh stuff but he does tweet about other things too. As to Shah Rukh being angry at you….yes, he knew you were cheating and yes he was hurt but he will always forgive you as you are a true fan!
    Now, the song: I think it is a classic Hindi film/Imtiaz song where the singing part is what the character WANTS to say and he is actually singing (or lip-synching) and the other parts with the serious face is what he is doing in “real” time.

• My favorite of those songs is “Mitwa”, because it does such a great job of capturing the “my outer shell is bitter and sad and overlooked, but inside I am singing” feeling. But this one looks kind of okay too, with the “my outer shell is barely bothering to hide my feelings, and inside I am singing you a love song.”

Speaking of hiding feelings, I think I can assume that if/when this song is posted with subtitles, that will be the sign that Shahrukh forgives me.

And if the film releases a day early in America so my weekend is less crazy, then I will KNOW he loves me.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I love the bits with him slowly spinning, dancing her across that patio, around and through the other people. Sweet! Wondering why they both look confused at times–is this kind of an out of sync love song, or are parts of it happening in his head and parts in hers?

Also–I miss Udit Narayan and Sonu Nigam doing playback for SRK. For me their voices perfectly match the way SRK delivers songs–easy, natural, and warm. I know everyone thinks Arijit Singh is amazing, to me his voice sounds strained through tight vocal cords most of the time. I just can’t get past the fact that no one could be producing that sound with such a relaxed throat and face.

Finally–I hope we get real song sequences. Your worry is worrying me! 🙂

• I miss Udit and Sonu too! I love Arijit, but his voice still sounds strange to me coming from Shahrukh. Too youthful and kind of boyish somehow. It was the worst in Gerua, and best in Zaalima. This is somewhere in the middle.

And yes, now we have all the songs (maybe) and a full trailer and all those teaser trailers, and I still find the details of their relationship puzzling. We know what happens, adventure through Europe and then chasing her back to India (maybe, based on Butterfly). But it’s hard to read their body language and faces to figure out if she loves him back, if he really loves her, what exactly is happening. Which is good, it means it will be a complicated layered relationship, not a simple “love at first sight” kind of thing.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:44 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Huh, I didn’t realize Arijit sings Zaalima, which I thought matched SRK really well. Probably because it’s in a lower register so he’s not straining so much. Also, I just realized today that he sings Kashmir Main, Tu Kanyakumari–one of my favorite “cheering up” songs.

I like Arijit as Ranbir’s voice quite a lot. Matches his energy and expressions somehow.

• Yes! As I said at some point in some post (there have been so many!), I feel like Arijit and Ranbir might be beginning one of those fruitful artistic partnerships where the voice matches the actor so perfectly that they both drive each other on to greater heights. Certainly ADHM wouldn’t have been the film it was without Arijit and Ranbir working together.

I forgot about “Kashmir Tu”! That’s one of my favorites as well, and I agree that it works much better. It’s also a little bouncier, somehow Arijit’s voice kind of thins out (if that makes sense) on the long croony tunes. I like the way it sounds, but it doesn’t feel right with Shahrukh’s rougher thicker (and even thicker as he ages) spoken voice, or his kind of mature facial expressions when he sings the lament type songs.

I don’t know if there is a really good modern singer for Shahrukh’s style. I think I’d kind of like to see him do more with Mika Singh, a real Punjabi kind of voice like that.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 2:53 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Oh and since you are empathetic to troubles with getting to theaters: I have to leave the city on Friday by 3:30 not to return until Sunday night. If my theater does not have a 10 or a 12 showing I am in deep trouble and they won’t tell me until NEXT Wednesday!! I’m wreckish; don’t know how I’ll stand it I have to wait until Sunday night AND I’ll have to avoid twitter etc. lest they give something away…..so hope for me that there is a 10 am Friday! (thanks for listening to the slightly (very) neurotic rant)

• Do you remember the AGONY as we all waited to see if Dear Zindagi would have a pre-Thanksgiving release in the US? And then it did? Good times!

But yes, I am having a similar but not nearly as bad issue and I am EXTREMELY sympathetic. I have to drive up to my parents’ house to help them host an all day party on the 5th. Which means going to the show on the 4th, getting home, writing the blog posts, going to bed, getting up 4 hours later, driving for 2 hours, spending the day doing dishes and chasing children, getting home at 10pm, and finally falling into bed. If only there is a Thursday release, all our problems will be solved! I mean, I’ll still be seeing it on Friday too, but at least I can write the blog posts on Thursday night instead.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 2:46 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For me it was Radha, Safar, Beech Beech Main, Butterfly. But now this one has edged out Radha. It’s a really good album overall! Especially after seeing Munna Michael, where Pritam was clearly just phoning it in, this is super refreshing.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• My order would be Safar, Radha, Hawayein, Beech Beech Mein, and Butterfly.

I never realized that Pritam did Munna Michael’s music. The songs in JHMS and Jagga Jasoos were so much better!

• I know! And in Munna Michael he kept putting in his other better songs. Like, they would turn on the radio and go “oh wow I love this song!” and it would be something Pritam from a different movie.

But then, he does so many soundtracks, I can’t really blame him for being lazy on one so long as he saves his good stuff for the important films.

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Pingback: TGIF: Feet First! Inspired by Jab Harry Met Sejal | dontcallitbollywood

5. Pingback: Happy Jab Harry Met Sejal Week! Chaahat, Shahrukh the Gigolo | dontcallitbollywood