This is a mix, movie quotes and real life, because I just couldn’t pick between the two! And feel free to add any I have missed in the comments.
23. Let’s start easy.
Rahul. Naam to Suna Hoga? [Rahul. You’ve heard the name?]
22. Next one! Another film classic.
21. So long as I am looking at that post, can’t resist this one.
20. Back to film! With a line that could have worked for a personal quote as well.
(We became “decent”, the world became bad)
19. Speaking of “bad”, a bit of a scary one, which is also deeper once you think about it.
18. And here’s a real life quote which could have been in a movie.
17. And a classic film quote!
16. After Kuch Kuch has to come K3G!
“In life, if you ever want to be something, win something, or get something, then always listen to your heart. But if you don’t get a signal from your heart, then close your eyes and say your mom and dad’s names, then watch, you will achieve every goal, every obstacle will become easy, and the victory will be yours… only yours…”
15. A very very long quote, but I can’t resist it!
sattar minute hai tumhaare paas…
shaayad tumhaare zindagi ke sabse khaas sattar minute..
Aaj tum achchha khelo ya bura
yeh sattar minute tumhe zindagi bhar yaad rahenge
toh kaise khelna hai, aaj main tumhe nahi bataaunga
bas itna kahunga, ki jaao aur yeh sattar minute jee bhar ke khel lo
kyun ki iske baad aanewaali zindagi mein,
chaahe kuch sahi ho ya na ho..
chaahe kuch rahe ya na rahe, tum haaro ya jeeto
lekin yeh sattar minute, tumse koi nahi chheen sakta, koi nahin!!
Toh maine socha ki iss match mein kaise khelna hai
aaj main tumhein nahi bataaunga, balki tum mujhe bataaoge, khel kar
kyun ki main jaanta hoon ki agar yeh sattar minute
iss team ka har player apni zindagi ki sabsi badiya hockey khel gaya
toh yeh sattar minute khuda bhi tumse waapas nahin maang sakta
toh jaao, jaao aur apne aap se, iss zindagi se, apne khuda se
aur har uss insaan se jisne tum par bharosa nahi kiya
apne sattar minute chheen lo” [actual dialogue]
70 minutes. you have 70 minutes
Probably the most important 70 minutes of your life
Today, whether you play well or not
You will remember these 70 minutes for the rest of your life
So I will not tell you how to play today,
All I will say is go out there and play these 70 minutes to their fullest
Because after this moment, whatever happens in life
Whether its good or not,
Whatever the end result is, whether you win or lose
No one can take these 70 minutes away from you, no one!
So, I have decided,
I will not tell you how to play today, YOU will tell me, by playing.
Because I know that in these 70 minutes, if every player in this team plays the best hockey game of her life
Then even God cannot take these 70 minutes away from you
So go! Go and from yourselves, from this life, from your God, and from every person who didn’t have faith in you
Go snatch your 70 minutes. [English translation.]
14. Okay, another real life one! Because he is so adorably cocky.
13. Raees quote! A nice one.
(Mother used to said, no business is small and no religion is bigger than business)
11. Now for a moment I am going to start with the low road:
Karan Johar on Koffee with Karan: What would you say to fans of Aamir Khan?
Shahrukh: Guys, find an icon you can look up to.
10. For the top ten I am going to go start super deep, from the Inner/Outer documentary on him:
I’m not comparing, but…I don’t want to see Clint Eastwood not on a horse. On the other hand, you come down a snow clad mountain in a nice sweater and you sing to a girl and tell her you love her and it works wonders and I’m nearly forty and it still works wonders. But as an actor, yes, it gets a little disturbing…And now I’m afraid I don’t even know how to be in a movie if there’s no horse in it…It’s a little worrisome some times as an actor. As a star, it’s fantastic.
9. And something fresh, and super super cocky!
Reporter: Do you fear a day when you’ll be standing on the balcony of Mannat and there won’t be people waiting outside to catch a glimpse of you?
Yes. But — and there’s a big but — that would be a day when India won’t be making films anymore. That’s the only way this could happen. Till we make films, there’ll be people out there waiting to watch me.
8. And one of the only two movie quotes to make my top ten (you can disagree with this):
Ladies and gentleman! They say that if you want something with all your heart, then the universe will work in every way possible to help you get it. Today, you have given me everything that I wanted. Thank you very much! I feel like the king of the world! Thank you for making me believe that just like in our films, in life too, finally in the end everything is OK. Happy Endings. And if it is not happy, then it is not the end. The picture is not over yet, my friends, the picture is not over yet.
7. When AbRam was born, there was a huge controversy over it, first rumors that AbRam existed at all, and then rumors of illegal sex determination tests for the child, the media was hounding them, everything was going crazy. The statement Shahrukh finally released starts and ends like this:
Amidst all the noise that has been going around, the sweetest is the one made by our new-born baby, AbRam.
They say a baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on. Post this statement, I hope we all move on too.
6. His response when people asked him about the slow box office for Ra.One compared to Salman and Aamir’s films back in 2011:
Aur Badshah toh Badshah hi hota hai (And the King is and will be the King)
5. Thank goodness, when I was writing a paper on the My Name is Khan controversy a few years back I printed out all SRK’s tweets at the time. Because apparently, twitter doesn’t save them! And they are beautiful, all several 100 of them. I don’t think he slept for a week, he just kept tweeting out his emotions 24 hours a day. Here is just a sampling.
Feb 07 12:32:40 AM if i dont meet people with different ideologies, my whole take on being tolerant becomes worthless. thats why…not for any other reason.
Feb 08 6:38:48 PM somebody said write the bad things on a paper and burn it.. then go to sleep…if i start doing that will burn my whole house down.
Feb 11 4:37:43 AM if my partners lose so be it. if i lose so be it.my stardom is transient.my integrity is non negotiable…my being indian unquestionable.
Feb 11 4:43:29 AM my name is shah rukh khan… and i think it is more than just a name. my mother & father had told me so & my son & daughter believe it so.
Feb 11 5:00:22 AM hope peace prevails. hope misunderstandings get cleared. hope nobody is hurt. hope all leaders & activists have largesse of heart. hope…
4. From the same interview as that earlier quote, something I really love, because it encapsulates my approach to film reviews. I can always, and will always, find something good.
I can sit down here and talk about the worst film of the world and the best film of the world with the same passion. Does that make me stupid? No. It’s just that I try to see the beauty in everything.
l’ll tell you a little story. It’s from the Bhagavad Gita, actually. It’s about Arjuna and Krishna, when they both were walking down the road and there was a dead dog on it. So Krishna asked, what do you see? Arjun said it is such an ugly sight! The entire flesh is rotting. Krishna said, ‘Don’t you see the teeth? They shine like pearls. Do you see how beautiful they are?’
I only see the teeth. And I am not philosophising.
3. Back in 2013, Shahrukh wrote an essay for Outlook on what his identity as a Khan means to him. This was the closing:
For I believe, our religion is an extremely personal choice, not a public proclamation of who we are. It’s as person as the spectacles of my father who passed away some 20 years ago. Spectacles that I hold onto as my most prized and personal possession of his memories, teachings and of being a proud Pathan. I have never compared those with my friends, who have similar possessions of their parents or grandparents. I have never said my father’s spectacles are better than your mother’s saree. So why should we have this comparison in the matter of religion, which is as personal and prized a belief as the memories of your elders. Why should not the love we share be the last word in defining us instead of the last name? It doesn’t take a superstar to be able to give love, it just takes a heart and as far as I know, there isn’t a force on this earth that can deprive anyone of theirs.
2. Second to last! The most famous thing he ever said on screen.
1.1. And finally, the thing he claims to say more than anything else, a gesture of humility and religious faith and pride in his identity.