Best Streaming Hindi Movies to Watch With Kids

Another To-Do list! A tricky one, because of course Kids are also People and therefore have very different tastes. But generally speaking, here are the movies I would suggest you start with. And then move on once you have identified the real winners for your particular kids.

This is so HARD! I keep picturing different kids in my head, like “oh this one would be good for Rachel’s sensitive little boy! But this one would be good for Genevieve’s active kids. And this one is good for Angie and Emily’s really little boys.” Obviously, everything on the “light rom-com list” I already put up is my first choice for Procrastinatrix’s teenage daughter. Also, I am not a creepy stalker person, I just want you all to be happy! In case that wasn’t clear.

Aan

Do your kids like fairy tale movies? And do they have a tolerance for older films, at least if they are in color? This is a good option. Swords and horses and princesses and evil kingdoms and noble rebels. Think Princess Bride.

Amar Akbar Anthony

If your kids are okay with complicated plots, and like over the top fake fight scenes (throwing people through brick walls kind of thing), this might be good. It’s long, and it’s complicated, it’s brightly colored with a bunch of songs. Be ready to explain a lot of stuff, I’m an adult and I can barely follow the plot.

Bajrangi Bhaijaan

This more kind of Pixar level in emotions. Nothing bad happens in the end, but there are scary moments along the way (little girl is separated from her mother and occasionally briefly separated from her new guardian who is bringing her back to her mother). It has a lovely message, about everyone loving the little girl and wanting to take care of her and make sure she is safe, and a more generalized message about being honest and doing the right thing no matter the difficulty.

Bhoothnath

This is a movie that kids love and adults (or at least, me) find kind of boring. Our little boy hero and his Mom Juhi movie into a haunted house. The old man ghost Amitabh Bachchan tries to scare the little boy, but they end up being best friends instead. He helps him fight off bullies and plays with him and everything is happy. And then there is kind of a hurried resolution, but mostly it is about a little boy who makes best friends with an old man ghost and they have adventures.

Chak De India

Do your kids like Sports? This is the movie for them. A group of female players practice and practice and get better and play in the big tournament thing and dig deep and learn about sportsmanship and WIN!!!! And for you, watching with them, Shahrukh as the hot coach.

Dhoom 2

All the Dhooms are good for kids, obviously, but this is the best one. Big and ridiculous and over the top and colorful. And with a completely happy ending! And moral ending too, crime doesn’t pay really.

Dil To Pagal Hai

I honestly don’t know why, but I have heard of so many small children who love this movie. It’s very slow, nothing super bad happens, there are a lot of dance numbers with a whole bunch of dancers and costumes and stuff, and there are balloons!

Ek Tha Tiger

Very fun silly spy movie. Salman, Super Spy, falls in love for the first time and then his life gets complicated. Lots of big action sequences of the “running across a speeding train” variety, no guns (I think. At least no gunfights), and a message about love conquering all. If your kids like action scenes but not violence, this is it.

Golmaal Again

Ghost comedy. The scenery alone will let your kids like it, big colorful wooden flowers scattered around, crazy murals, just fun. It’s set in an orphanage and the set designer really ran with the idea of a kids paradise for the look. No scary ghosts, a little bit of sad (because death before ghost), but just a little bit, and good triumphs in the end.

Prem Ratan Dhan Payo

A fairy tale! Our cheerful village performer is brought in to pretend to be a lookalike Prince, and then falls in love with the Princess who is engaged to the Prince, and makes friends with the Prince’s estranged little sisters (the youngest loves to play soccer!), and so on. There’s horse chases and sword fights, but nothing really scary, and a lot of brightly colored songs.

Seeta Aur Geeta

I wouldn’t think to recommend this to kids except that, like Dil To Pagal Hai, I’ve heard of numorous kids who LOVE it. Something about Hema being so confident and rude to her guardians, and learning to rollar skate, and the fight scene at the end, it’s just fun. Also long and confusing, maybe not one to watch in a straight shot.

Student of the Year 2

Do your kids like Archie Comics? This is one of them come to life. A rich school and a poor school, a hero torn between two girls, a big sporting meet at the end, bright colors and romances that are about handholding and kisses, it’s sweet and happy and young.

Thugs of Hindostan

Do your kids like big adventure movies with boats and magic hawks and stuff? This might be a good option. It’s long, and there are some kind of slow parts, but I think it will keep their attention all right straight through thanks to the sword fights and fun bits.

ABCD 2

Do your kids like dance movies? This is the perfect one for them. Young fresh dancing leads, lots of spectacular performances, a romance that is barely there (no yucky kissing scenes), and a plot that is really straightforward. Plus a message about trying your best and keeping going no matter what.

Baahubali: The Beginning

This is a fantasy film, think Lord of the Rings. And also think the depth and darkness of Lord of the Rings. So, if your kids are disturbed by Evil people and darkness and stuff, maybe not this. But if they enjoy those kinds of movies, definitely this one! Our noble hero has to regain his kingdom and so on and so forth, and the visuals are just AMAZING.

Baahubali 2

The sequel! Watch out, the first one ends on a cliffhanger so you will definitely want to see the second one right away. Maybe even have it ready to go so you can tell your kids it will be okay, there’s a second half.

Chennai Express

A very silly movie. Shahrukh mugging his way through things, Deepika being clever back at him, over the top Rohit Shetty unrealistic fight scenes and car chases and stuff. And in the end the couple gets together, everyone is happy, happy happy. No deaths, no really scary parts, just silly and a little bit of chaste romance.

Dangal

Another sports movie! This time female wrestlers. But the important part is that they start as little kids, so your kids have someone they can enjoy watching for the first half of the film as they complain about their parents, and work hard, and win medals and stuff.

A Flying Jatt

This is maybe my first choice of ALL of them! A silly silly superhero movie, that knows it is silly. Our hero can fly, but he is afraid of heights so he only flies a little above the ground. And his Mom calls him while he is off on missions and makes him stop by the vegetable market to pick up her Okra. It gets scary and dark right at the end, so maybe fastforward that part, but otherwise it is a lovely dream of what it would be like to be a superhero with your Mom nagging around after you.

Main Hoon Na

A little bit sad in the beginning, but then it comes around and is happy. Also a little big of scary with the villain. The rest of it is just fun though! More Archie comics style college hijinks, a cowardly smart aleck brother and a noble brave brother who have to make friends, a tomboy style girl with a secret crush, lots of fun everywhere. And happy ending!

Eega/Makkhi

Every kid loves this movie. Every one! Our hero dies (sad!) but then is reincarnated as a fly and does really cool fly heroic stuff. So you are only sad for like 5 minutes and then it is okay. The bad guy is silly more than scary, the heroine is perfectly happy with her fly lover, everything’s fine.

Okay, that’s it! All the very best kids movies! Your kids won’t like every one of them, but they should like most of them. And the full Netflix list (here) and Prime list (here) have even more on them.

37 thoughts on “Best Streaming Hindi Movies to Watch With Kids

1. I was over the top touched that you took the time to create this list! Like seriously! You do love us. And the feeling is mutual. Will review tomorrow!

• Yaaay, glad you liked it! Your little guy is so sensitive, you can also check out the “light rom-com” list if you want, because nothing bad happens in a rom-com.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. New Allu Arjun movie is great for kids – there are basically only very colorful dances, silly scenes and few perfectly choreographed fights like this one:

+ it’s about family

• I love movies with dogs but NOT if a dog gets hurt in any way. Can’t take it. Now we know where Hux gets it!

• Never watch John Wick. Or at least, don’t watch it alone, wait for someone to be there with you and tell you when you can stop covering your eyes.

Also, would Hum Aapke Hain Koun be a good pick for your house? Or too boring?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 1:26 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Yup! I rewatched DTPH last week and although he was otherwise occupied I do think he’d like it. From your list he already likes Chennai Express. I think he’d love love love CDI (until he remembers that baseball season is cancelled which totally sucks for him) and the dance movies and maybe SOTY franchise. Thank you Margaret! 💕

4. See I have to skirt the line between enough action to keep him interested and sports is a good option but no distinct violence. I do remember that at the end of Chennai express he didn’t dig that they were all hurting each other so much but of course was not surprised that Shah Rukh could fight so many guys. I’ve trained him well.

• Student of the Year 2 might be good. The Kabaddi games are ridiculous, but also really fun to watch. There’s some “fight” scenes too, but it’s all flying through the air and spin kicks and fake looking stuff.

Have you tried Dangal? I think there is no non-wrestling violence in that, and no one dies or anything.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. My poor son always happens to be in the room with me when I watch the saddest movies. Like the telugu romantic movie I watched few weeks ago, and thought its’s romantic comedy and it turned to be a melodrama. It ended with heroine dying and giving her heart to the the hero who badly needed a transplant. He talked about this ending for days. Now we also watched Dia :/

The other thing we saw is Netflix short cartoon Sitara about a girl forced to marry. But this one in my opinion is good for kids because they can learn how lucky and privileged they are.

• Is he reading yet? Can he do the English subtitles on his own? If not, I suppose you could lie to him and say it was a happy ending. My college roommate distinctly remembers watching Baazigar as a little kid and her parents hitting “stop” on the VHS just as Shahrukh is chasing Dalip Tahil at the end, and saying “and then he beat the villain and married the heroine and it all ended happily”.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• He doesn’t know english yet, but with movies like Dia, I couldn’t cheat him because I was too busy shouting “OMG, I can’t believe this!” at my tv.

6. How come you didn’t include Chillar Party, a film actually made for and with kids, and which was already on one of your other lists? I recommend it wholeheartedly for all kids and adults, too. Plus, it has a dog. 🙂

All the ones here feel like adult films with bits that might appeal to kids, rather than films for kids. For instance, there’s a HUGE gunfight at the end of Ek Tha Tiger, which might be OK for older (12 and above) kids, but not younger ones. And the underground lair and attacks therein in PRDP were disturbing even to me, even though I knew the book the film is based on. As for the Bahubali films, I almost found them too violent, in a realistic way. But I was teaching a class at that time with kids 7 to 13 years old, and all the boys, at least, loved them, so I don’t know.

If we are not restricted to Hindi films, I think Mayabazaar is a great choice for kids. Both the colorized and black and white versions are still on Youtube, I think.

The first film Dhanush produced, Kakka Muttai, is a lovely film, and won the National Award for Best Children’s Film. While its protagonists are two (poor) young boys on a quest for pizza, it does have some dark themes (their dad is in prison, their mom struggles to make ends meet and pay a lawyer to get the dad out of prison). Still, the overall feel of the film is a sweet and happy one. It seems to be on Hotstar.

Another great children’s film is Village Rockstars, an Assamese film that won the National Award for Best Film and Best Child Artiste. This one may be a little hard to find, but it’s well worth the effort. It’s about children in a village in Assam, in particular, one little girl who wants to get a guitar and form a rock band with her friends. Getting the money together to buy the guitar is the main plot, but it’s a very sweet look at village life.

• I considered Chillar Party, it was one of my last cuts. I’ve actually seen all these movies so I could give very specific descriptions to let people decide what would and would not work for their kids.

At least for me, when I was a kid, I didn’t necessarily like movies for kids, I preferred movies made for adults that I could understand and relate to. That’s probably why I leaned that way in this list. The beauty of Hindi films is that they have so little sex and the violence is so minor and cartoonish compared to what you find in Hollywood movies, that kids can watch almost anything.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 6:57 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. So many movies to try! Thank you. I think the Hindi fight scenes, being so over the top, are a good influence on my kids. Lately they’ve been wrestling a lot, and sword fighting, and real fighting; I’m always telling them to fight Hindi style, and they’ll throw fake punches for a bit with loud sound effects and have fun. But then one child will say you missed, and another one will say, no I hit you, you have to fall down, and then they’ll actually tackle each other again, sigh. So I have this idea that the more obviously fake fight scenes I show them, the more accepting they’ll be of fake fighting at home.

• There’s a lot of fake fight scenes on this list. The really fake ones are in the 70s movies, which might be too slow. But if your kids let you fastforward things, a 2 hour version of Amar Akbar Anthony (love scenes and song fast-forwarded) would maybe work?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Nice, thank you! For my boys – like action and sports and physical comedy, yuck on romance or too much talking, OK with superhero movie levels of violence – I can vouch for Chak De India, Bahubali, Dhoom (we watched 3, they liked the chases), Ek Tha Tiger (gun battle was a little more intense than I expected but not too bad), and Chennai Express (agree with Rachel, the last fight is long and intense). I tried Main Hoon Na but it was too much plot and romance for them. This is a helpful list, thinking I should try them on Dangal and The Flying Jatt (youngest is a Tiger fan after War).

• Baaghi, from the other list, might be another one to try? It’s another Tiger movie. Heropanti too. They are both kind of martial arts fighting.

And there’s Dilwale and Happy New Year, but maybe you already tried those and they were no-go.

Oh! Shivaay! They might really like that. Weird romance at the start, but lots and lots of mountain adventure action, and then lots and lots of car chases and stuff in the second half.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Today I was watching Duplicate when the kids wandered in. We hung in past halfway but it’s really so silly and over the top that I decided I needed a break and we switched to A Flying Jatt. They watched all the way through and said they liked it, my oldest approved of the message. My husband was asking me questions about why it was such a strong Sikh pride story. Personally, I thought it was nice enough until the last third, where it went kind of sideways and tried to throw everything in to up the drama. Tiger is pretty to watch, all the acrobatic fight scenes and dancing.

There’s a comic superhero from Spain called Super Lopez who’s kind of in the same vein but keeps more to comedy. They liked that one too, maybe a bit more.

• Yes, the last third is kind of a tone shift. Even the colors change, the rest of the movie is so bright and colorful, and then the last third is all gray and dark. Blech!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. Has somebody watched this Disney movie Zokkomon? Is it good?

There is also this other Disney movie with southern Sid. It looks like something kids might like.