TGIF: Chocolate Heroes for Chocolate Day!!!!

Tomorrow is International Chocolate Day (today is fried chicken day in America-July is an unhealthy month).  So I thought I would look at Chocolate Heroes, a phrase specific to Hindi film that makes almost no logical sense and yet you immediately understand what it means.  Well, almost immediately.

I heard somewhere, but am still not sure it is true, that “chocolate hero” came from the practice of putting male film star photos on chocolate boxes.  So a Chocolate Hero or “Chocolate Boy”, is the kind of actor that dreamy teenage girls might want to look at while eating chocolate.  Not macho, not threatening, just sort of pretty and smile-y with eyes that say “eat your chocolate, I don’t care what you look like, I will always love you”.

Let us first define what they are not.  They are not scarily sexy, like too sexy for you to be comfortable with when you are only 13.  So, never John Abraham.

Image result for young john abraham

They are also not mature and strong and tough.  So, never Ajay Devgan.

Related image

(His first movie.  Greatest. Poster. Of. All. Time)

Oh, and they certainly aren’t OLD!!!!  So, not present day Anil Kapoor.  Because teenage girls have no taste.

Image result for anil kapoor dil dhadakne do

But yes 1980s Anil Kapoor!  Not too sexy, not too strong, not too old,

Image result for anil kapoor young

Now that we fully understand the terms, grab your chocolate boxes and start eating while I give you pictures to look at.  All the Khans started out this way, first Aamir, telling us with his eyes to eat that chocolate, he still thinks we are cute and will pass notes to us in class.

Related image

Then Salman, he likes watching us eat chocolate, and then showing off by doing handstands and stuff on the bleachers at the gym.

Image result for salman khan young

And then Shahrukh, the wise-cracking class clown type who will make us laugh so hard we accidentally spit out chocolate, and get embarrassed, but he makes us laugh about that too until we feel better.

Image result for shahrukh khan young

Some men are never chocolate heroes.  Suniel and Akshay, for instance, they were way way too manly and challenging right from the start.  But others take forever to grow out of it.  Saif, for instance.

Image result for saif ali khan 90s

Shahid Kapoor was another one, just had this sweet baby face for the longest time, totally dreamy and non-threatening.  Very much what we in America of a certain age might call “Tiger Beat”

Image result for shahid kapoor young

Imraan Khan briefly popped up to challenge Shahid’s throne as Top Chocolate Boy of the 2000s

Related image

Before they were both defeated by Ranbir Kapoor, a Chocolate Hero for All Time, since he seems to have no urge to try to age out of that category.

Related image

He comes by it honestly, his father Rishi was a similar Chocolate Hero for All Time, Playing romantic leads from 21

Related image

To 41

Related image

I’m not going to forget our regional industries!  Although I feel like “Chocolate Hero” is more of a Hindi film thing somehow.  But Dulquer also absolutely fills it, probably why he is transitioning so well.

Image result for dulquer salmaan

And there’s Varun Tej in Telugu

Image result for varun tej

Nivin Pauly in some movies but not others.  Ohm Shaanthi Oshaana, definitely!  In fact Nazriya probably had a box of chocolates somewhere with his picture glued onto it.

Image result for nivin pauly ohm shanthi oshaana

Oh, Naga Chaitanya!  There’s another one.  More of the “kind of too shy to talk to you but keeps sneaking glances while you eat chocolate” type.

Image result for naga chaitanya

Nani, he’s a tricky one, beginning to age out of the chocolate hero status but not quite there yet.  More of that slightly older cleverer college age big brother of your friend that you have a secret crush on.

Image result for nani

And also he is really cute with babies,

Related image

And finally, our one true literal Chocolate Hero

Image result for shahrukh chocolate

Now, questions!

What photo would you glue to the top of your chocolate box to smile at you while you eat?

I am an adult woman, not a 13 year old girl, so I am gluing this photo!

Image result for young john abraham

What photo would you glue to the top of a chocolate box you are giving to a 13 year old who likes boys that you might know?

I’m going with Nivin, because he is a nice kind supportive gentle guy, who will not create unrealistic body goals but will create what SHOULD BE realistic goals for kindness, sense of humor, supportiveness, and all over good things.

Image result for nivin pauly ohm shanthi oshaana

31 thoughts on “TGIF: Chocolate Heroes for Chocolate Day!!!!

• He isn’t on the list because I had to take a miserable stressful work call instead of finishing. Also missed out on Sid M.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 3:34 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Both, excellent choices! Varun is such a good chocolate hero, and seems to really embrace that, he’s nice and appropriate and respectful to his younger fans.

And the Shahrukh photo just looks all kinds of chocolate-y.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 2:35 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• He’s so nice and non-threatening! Very appropriate for a 13 year old who is trying on emotions. Don’t tell her I said she is just trying on emotions.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. An article about chocolate boys and there is no mention about Maddy? His nickname was Chocolate boy!
    And as I love Shahrukh and always like watching his photos, I think he is not truly a chocolate boy. I’m not sure why.

• I know what you mean about Shahrukh. Even in his very earliest films, there was something a little biting and dangerous there, not for children.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:01 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, and he is not “traditionally” cute handsome like the other guys.
        And for your questions : I will glue Maddy and Nivin on my chocolates, and Nivin on my 13 years old niece box (I’ve already watched OSO with her because I want her to know how a good man should be)

• Yes! Nivin from OSO is what all 13 year olds should fall in love with.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Answers –
    Question 1 – as a grown-up I would have to go with an SRK pic from JHMS or JthJ or Dear Zindagi. Apart from SRK, grown-up Maddy would do…

Question 2 – I think young Shahid would be good for a 13 year old – he definitely has that Tiger Beat look. Sweet face.

I still giggle at the comment that Twinkle made on Koffee with Karan about Akshay being ‘6ft of chocolate ice-cream’.

• I looked so hard for a Chocolate Hero Akshay photo! No luck, the man was born too much of a man for a little girl to handle.

But agree completely with your choices, Shahrukh has a very good face for encouraging you to indulge and eat more chocolate. And Shahid is the perfect non-threatening type guy that I want a nice 13 year old to fantasize about. Someone to hold hands in the movies and maybe kiss you on the cheek, but nothing more.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Aamir was a chocolate boy for a very long time and he never really transitioned to mature or dangerously sexy though he had a few moments. Too bad, given his performances in Dil, Ghulam, Mann, Sarfarosh, he could be maybe be doing the Anil silver daddy thing instead of these weirdly desexualized roles he’s taken on since 3 Idiots.

• Maybe when his fan community identity changed from primarily young woman to young men he felt the need to change to a different kind of body display? Or maybe he just got embarrassed and older? Or maybe he just lost the oomph? He still does the suave cool guy thing in movies, but it comes off more as him being cool than actually connecting with the heroine. I really don’t know.

Anyway, thank goodness for Shahrukh and Anil Kapoor, being proudly mature and sexy.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 8:03 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am so curious what his role in Thugs will be like! Is he going to be a dangerous bandit with a romance with Kat? Or the wacky mentor type?

Agree about the dangerous thing. I think my first Aamir movies were Lagaan, Rangeela, Dil Chahta Hai, and Ghulam. So I thought of him as the dangerous bad boy type. And then it turns out that is pretty much his entire dangerous bad boy series and everything else is bland bland bland. And Talaash. Which is neither bad boy, nor bland.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 7:50 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was thinking of pre-Bahubali Prabhas as more like Mirchi, all strong and violent and so on. But you are right, that soft sweet smile shy type is very 13 year old appropriate.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 7:58 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Very dimpley! But still, if I were 13, I would look at that and think “but, he’s just an old man”. Unlike Shahid, who would have been just plain dreamy.

• I don’t want Bahubali watching me eating chocolate! He would just look down on me for sitting around and eating instead of climbing a waterfall or building palm tree catapults or something.