Yesterday I did a “serious” post, best films, so today I get to do another “silly” one! 29 songs of Shahrukh.
Okay, I’m going to try something new and confusing and count backwards from 29 to 1, ending with my all time favorite Shahrukh song.
29. I’m going to start with his first song of all time. It’s just so joyful! Like, “yes, I am here! To bring a new birth to Indian film!”
28. And his second film has one of those songs that sticks in your mind until it drives you insane for days on end.
27. Technically his first film, the first one he signed, in which he only had one real song sequence, but BOY did he sell it!
26. This is really a Nana Patekar song more than a Shahrukh song, but he is so cute in it!
25. Surprisingly sweet love song for a Madame Bovary adaptation!
23. Skipping ahead a few years, every song in this film is good, but I think this is my second favorite.
22. Oh my gosh do I love this movie! I could put in every single song in the film if I wanted, and it was painful to choose between this one and “Aana Mere Pyar Ko”, but ultimately, this one stands out as a bigger achievement all on its own, outside of the context of the film.
21. This movie I don’t like that much in general, and I don’t really even like the songs that much. But come on, you gotta appreciate this one! Age 48, jumping around like he’s half his age!
20. This movie has so many great Shahrukh songs, I was torn. But I went with this one, because I love the opening, when he is singing along in the car and just looking so joyful!
19. Can’t resist that SRKajol chemistry!
18. Even better in their second film!
17. Another movie with a bunch of good songs, and a movie I am on record as loving, but I am going with this one because it is soooooooooooooo sexy.
16. Hmm, now it’s getting tricky! What to pick next? I guess another one that I like mostly for how dropdead sexy it is?
15. And, for a total change of pace, one that I like for how dropdead sad it is.
14. Too sad! Let’s get some happy in here. In fact, let’s let Shahrukh cheer us up himself.
13. You might say this is really a Sonali Bendre song, but it isn’t, what makes it is Shahrukh’s reaction shots.
12. Another one where Shahrukh’s reactions really sell the whole thing.
11. And speaking of reacting to women, my mother’s favorite SRK song!
10. So far, all of these songs I have liked one thing in particular a lot. But moving forward, it’s basically going to be top ten songs where every single element (visuals, music, place in the film, choreography, actors) is perfection. So, you ready for perfection? Well, partial perfection, the full version isn’t available online yet.
9. Here’s another one, perfectly gentle and sincere and “Haule Haule”, like the title says.
8. Now, this one is a great song, with a really cute dance, and also a great message!
7. Okay, getting down to the end now, the really really good ones! This one I just love, for how the music sounds, and how Shahrukh’s face shows the mental journey he is going on, and the freedom when he runs without limping in the middle.
6. I’m not going to say this is anything deep or meaningful, but man is it catchy! I defy you to watch this video, and NOT start singing along!
5. It’s a close one for me between these two songs. But I give a slight edge to “Chammak Challo” because of how great Shahrukh looks in a tailored tuxedo shirt.
4. Brilliant matching of narrative needs and pure beauty.
3. TOP THREE!!!! Now, this is definitely the order they are in for me. But I understand if others would put them in a different order. But I would be SHOCKED if anyone actually disagrees that, in whatever order they go, these are the top 3 best SRK songs of all time.
2. You know, someone told me recently they don’t actually like this song? I just don’t understand that! It’s so wonderful, and it makes me so happy to be an American!
1.1. Is anyone surprised that this is number 1? Could it ever really have been anything else?