Full Jab Harry Met Sejal Trailer! No Subtitles, Shahrukh Is Mad At Me Again

Mad at me, but still willing to help, having sensed that my blog views were way way down over the past few days, he provided me with content.  See, even when we are in a fight, he still cares.

Trailer!!!!!!!!  Nothing really new here (unless I am missing something in the subtitles, tell me if I am!).  Shahrukh is a tour guide in Europe who is kind of bored with his life but doesn’t know how to change it.  Anushka bursts in on him like a breath of fresh air and drags him along on her impossible quest.  They have adventures.

The only thing that is “new” is a couple of moments that give an ever so slight shading to their relationship.  We knew Shahrukh would fall in love with Anushka, no duh.  But the way he looks at her makes it seem like it isn’t just a kind of light wistful love, but something that gets deeper and agonizing inside fairly quickly.  And that he kind of acts on it maybe?  Some of his expressions seem like they are directed at her, like he is waiting for her to respond to it.

And Anushka maybe definitely feels the same way?  We’ve been debating if it will be a wistful “she made me a better man and then went her own way” kind of romance, and it still could be, this might just be clever edit to the trailer and all of those doubtful conflicted looks she is throwing at him are just guilt over his feelings that she doesn’t reciprocate, not guilt because she DOES reciprocate.  But at least this trailer is telling the story of “Opposites thrown together, lonely man falls in intensely in love and goes after her, wears her down in spite of herself, reunion in the Punjab.”  Also, that leather jacket shot with him calling out her name at the end, TOTAL DDLJ homage, right?  Or supposed to make us think it is a DDLJ homage?

57 thoughts on “Full Jab Harry Met Sejal Trailer! No Subtitles, Shahrukh Is Mad At Me Again

1. Maybe its this: Shah Rukh isn’t mad at you, Red Chilies is mad at all of us for loving him more than it! He begs them to do subs for us but it just pouts and says, “Not yet!”

• Yes, that’s it exactly! He wants to be with us, but the evil corporation is keeping us apart. Destroy Red Chillies!

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:45 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I liked the trailer but I agree with you that there’s nothing really new shown in it. I am wondering who Sejal’s fiance is though.

• If nothing else, it’s kind of an interesting editing exercise to look at all of the trailers currently released. They don’t really show that much different trailer to trailer, but it is always combined in a new way with slightly different background music, and it makes us feel like we are seeing something new.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:46 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Boo…no subtitles, but definitely not much new here. I think it’s basically Jab We Met 10 years later with an older dude. And it could be the final straw for critics (and many viewers) with Ali’s writing women as saviors of the male protagonist. There are already pre-film analysis pieces out there that are really down on Ali, which isn’t necessarily fair until the movie comes out. I think he needs to do something completely different with no romance in his next film to avoid losing his cred, especially as a writer.

You must watch Rajeev Masand’s interview with SRK which just posted. What a fascinating psyche that guy has. Also interesting how he talks about needing to have a comfortable and trusting relationship with a director and how Ali is an actor’s director which isn’t surprising. It was also so revealing how SRK talked about hating to travel and preferring to stay in a hotel room and watch movies or stay at home and play board games with the kids. And his facial expressions when Rajeev brought up Suhana’s hounding by paparazzi were some of the best moments. He answered the question with class because that’s who is, but you could tell he’s simmering underneath and being a typical dad.

Speaking of interviews, Ranbir Kapoor’s AIB Podcast interview is also worth watching. What a complete (excuse my language) douchebag! He’s condescending and he’s oblivious and he’s whiney (giving crap to the AIB guys who are working on a web series because it takes away his box office!). And here’s the kicker…I still found him fascinating and sexy as hell (just like in his appearance on KWK). Uggh!

And finally, Saif. WTF. Eugenics!

• Gaaah, too much to watch! I’ll see if I can carve out the time this weekend.

For Imtiaz, it’s too bad he did Tamasha after Highway. Highway took him in an interesting direction of really focusing on a female protagonist, and then he went right back to the “woman savior” idea more so than ever before in his next film.

Really, Jab We Met, Tamasha, Rockstar are all the same kind of thing sort of. But Socha Na Tha, Highway, those felt different to me. Even Love Aaj Kal felt a little more balanced. I am hoping this is more on the Socha Na Tha/Love Aaj Kal side of things where both people need each other and grow up a bit, instead of just the woman serving as a kick in the pants to the man. This trailer makes me a little more hopeful about that, since Anushka has her own moments of looking conflicted.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 8:52 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I still have high hopes for this one despite the issues with Ali’s filmography and, agreed, that Anushka’s character looks like a complicated character and I trust her to bring it depths even if it isn’t in the script anyway. I mean I loved Jab We Met and I’m not opposed to revisiting it! And honestly, I really liked Tamasha (minus the play) because I felt that Deepika’s performance (not necessarily the script) was more layered even if she was the catalyst for his change.

I really need to rewatch Rockstar. I’m trying to figure out lately what it is about Ranbir’s acting that has everyone praising him so hard and coming down on him so hard when he fails. Or is it just the last name. I don’t know. Also going to try to watch Barfi and Rocket Singh for the first time soon.

• Really? Tamasha? That was the line in the sand for me. I loved Jab We Met, and I think it is a brilliant movie all on its own. But I can see the issues when you put it in context with his other films. Kind of like His Girl Friday and Howard Hawks. And then Tamasha is where I went “Oh I just can’t with this guy!” I mean, I’ll still try all his other movies, but now I am on alert for that tinge of male-importance/female savior kind of thing.

For Ranbir, I wonder if it’s a 3 stage thing? First he came out with his name and everyone kind of paid a lot of attention just because of the name. And then he seemed to actually have talent and be working at things, not just coasting on the name. And that was so amazing in the era of star sons, that everyone went “Wow! He must be super talented and sensitive and special if he is working on things even though he is a Kapoor!” Like, they thought he wanted to go beyond the name somehow. But really, if you take away the name, he is a talented young actor with a so-so hit to flop ratio and so-so fanbase, no different than Shahid or Varun or Ranveer. Only he isn’t allowed to be just a so-so actor because he is supposed to be “overcoming” his name, somehow “beating” all the other Kapoors in history, or at least matching them. I like him best when it seems like he himself isn’t buying into that and is just keeping his head down and doing good work. I loved him in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil partly because it was a great performance, but also because it wasn’t a “Kapoor” performance, he was doing what the director told him and working with his co-stars and not trying to make it into a big star feature centered on him. But Jagga Jasoos infuriates me, because it seems like he started buying into his own hype, believing that the name alone means he knows how to produce and can open a movie.

Does that make sense?

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yep, somehow despite the big flaw of returning to a female savior trope in Tamasha, there was still something about it for me and I think I really have narrowed it down to Deepika’s performance, not the script. Compared to her similar(?) role in Love Aaj Kal you can see her growth as an actress. She’s become very calm and deliberate in her expressions and body language. I don’t know…it could also be the gorgeous setting of that film that made me like it!

That analysis of Ranbir works for me, especially that he’s really no more or less talented than Shahid or Ranveer and has had the same ratio of hits to flops…it’s just the name baggage that keeps him at the top of the list for dissection from the media. I won’t put Varun in the same category as the other three yet though I understand why you all like him:) I’m still rooting for Arjun to come out ahead in the race to enduring stardom between him, Varun, and Sid. I know they all have different strengths and most likely completely different trajectories…it’s just hard not to pick favorites!

• I just can’t believe how far Deepika has come. I agree completely about her performance in Tamasha. Except my reaction was that it made the move more frustrating for me. I was so fascinated by this character she was building, and the film never let me watch her, it kept cutting away to the less interesting hero.

The first performance that really stood out for me with Dips was Chennai Express. Which was a similar kind of throw away heroine part. As scripted, it wasn’t actively terrible, but it wasn’t necessarily anything special. And then she brought so much to it! I saw CE without having seen Love Aaj Kal or Cocktail, so it was essentially straight from OSO and Bachna Ae Haseeno Dips to CE, and the growth in her was unbelievable.

With Ranbir, that’s it exactly, he is at the top of the media list just because of the name, but his career and performances on their own don’t really warrant it. What frustrates me is when he tries to buy into his own hype, loses track that he is really just a working actor trying to make a mark like any of the others. Maybe Jagga Jasoos will serve as a wake up call, it sounds like it might have, he has already said that he will never produce again.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• And to your last point, the way that Ranbir has completely double-talked the whole Jagga Jasoos experience is also infuriating. Just watch that AIB interview. He throws shade at Basu in one breath and then says he’d work with him again in another.

The producing thing is so true. He thought he could naturally do it so well and then working with a mercurial director was so, so hard and he just got whiny about it! I think he’ll produce again…because I think, as you’ve said in other posts, that he does feel the pressure of reviving that part of the Kapoor legacy, but he’ll back off for a bit.

Make me like Anushka Sharma even more because she seems to be able to balance the acting and producing so much better. Granted she has done smaller projects and partnered with a family member who brought additional skills to the table but doesn’t that make her much more savvy and admirable! It will be interesting to see how she handles her first producing flop.

• Exactly! To Ranbir double-talking. That was my first reaction to seeing those early quotes. Just, be a grown up about it! This isn’t even a Hindi film industry thing, any time you have a failure, the adult thing to do is to own your own responsibility and talk about next steps to fix the problem, not try to pass it off to others. Heck, it’s what I do at my job, it’s what most people do at their jobs. If you are the face of something, the right thing to do is say “I am so sorry, it’s my mistake, I will fix it and here is how.” It’s supposed to be something you learn when you are 12, not when you are 35. If it was Basu’s problem, say “Basu is a wonderful artistic director who requires a strong business mind to balance that, and I just wasn’t able to provide that for him.” If it was a script problem, say “I fell in love with the script, and it blinded me to how difficult it would be to achieve this story on film.” Just spit it out and say what was wrong! Especially if you want the audience, and the rest of the industry, to respect you. Oh, and Anurag Kashyap does the same thing, blames everyone else in the world for his flops besides himself, and it also makes me furious.

I so respect Anushka’s producing. NH10 looked like it might be a one off, a good cheap script she wanted to try out, but Phillauri was something else entirely and still a good cheap production that made a profit. She isn’t being “lucky” to do well like this (the way some stars seem to be, stumbling across a great project and then failing on the next one), she is being smart, keeping it to small productions that won’t bankrupt her and making herself the only star in the films, so as to avoid any potential scheduling/payment/ego issues that can be avoided. And “star” includes the directors she is picking who are good, but not great and powerful and demanding. If/when she has a flop, I am sure she will own it as “a good experience, good people, I learned a lot, but ultimately it wasn’t the right time for this film” and move on. It won’t be a big enough movie to seriously damage her career or her bank account.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• filmilibrarian, I feel the same way about the AIB podcast–both the douchi-ness and the sexiness. For me, the weirdness is compounded because he is way too young for me!

And the SRK interview with Rajeev Masand–really good. So wide ranging. Would be so interested to see their dynamic off camera.

• Isn’t it so weird?!! When he debuted, I didn’t get why everyone thought he was so handsome and then I saw some Raj Kapoor films and realized how much he looks like him and then I understood it more. And as he ages and grows into his looks, he’s looking even better. And then when he talks about being a loner who only wants to stay home and take care of his mastiffs, I’m a like a teen girl again who thinks he’s so deep and tortured and dreamy. Despite his petulant and spoiled statements. Hormones (and fandoms) can be weird at any age;)

Liked by 2 people

• Have I told you the “Kapoor eyes” story before? It’s from Madhu Jain’s book (which is SO MUCH FUN!). She talks about how Raj Kapoor would get these women, and they all had the same “eh, he’s okay I guess” reaction when they first met him. And then he would just sort of look at him with his magic eyes through out the time they worked together and by the end of the shoot they would be all “I love him forever and shall only wear white and keep myself only for him”. Which is absolutely how the Kapoor male appeal works, you see the first movie or whatever and think “eh”. And then he works on you and you end up totally in thrall.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That sums it up perfectly. It’s in the eyes and with Ranbir, I also like the tone and register of his voice. He’s the classic Harlequin Presents hero.

I really need to read that book!

• And the nice thing is I work in a library and can go up one floor and grab it! I’ve been waiting to buy my own copy…but I think I’ll read it on vacation next week!

• Funny thing is, as you can see through the card catelogue, it’s a few years old and it’s already out of date! It ends right when Ranbir is launched. But all the stuff pre-Ranbir is FANTABULOUS.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The conversation below made me think that there is in fact a romance novel “Harlequin Presents: Ranbir Kapoor” that came out a few years ago and was loosely based on the real person.

• procrastinatrix, it only exists in my head in a very vague way. I guess I’m picturing a cross between those old Hollywood promotional things like “Bonita Granville and the Mystery of Star Island” https://img0.etsystatic.com/066/0/6577844/il_570xN.785110394_23w0.jpg and the extremely gushy biographies that are written for tween fans like https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062202086/justin-bieber-just-getting-started
            So in my imagination it’s a poor little rich boy story (actually pretty accurate) but there’s also a stand-in for the reader (the person who writes his first fan letter?) who of course intrigues him because she is honest and real unlike the Bollywood sycophants who surround him, but she’s insecure, finally does a Cinderella moment dressing up for the Filmfare Awards (her makeover courtesy of Manish Malhotra), he is swept away by her beauty and charm, but someone makes fun of her (mean reporter?) and she runs away convinced he doesn’t care, he finds her later and confesses his love, but for some reason this story is lost in the mists of history like Lagaan which is why you never read about it in any news reports or interviews about him. Or maybe she wants to hide from the limelight and he respects her wishes. Either way.

• Absolutely right! I saw him in, and enjoyed Barfi, but he’s so boyish in that. Rockstar I found ho-hum–the story and his performance. I enjoyed Tamasha also (don’t tell Margaret!) but I saw it on a plane, with wine, so all defenses were down. But yes, it is something about the way he’s aging. And I’m a sucker for the longer hair.

• If I had to choose one the most asexual actor I would choose Ranbir for sure. No matter if he has long or short hair, wears kurta, turban or rockstar clothes, I just don’t find him attractive. He is good actor, that’s true, but I completly get why Anushka haven’t fell in love with him in ADHM.

• Anil Kapoor for me. I want him to be my mentor and best friend and father figure, but THAT’S IT.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:33 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

Liked by 2 people

• Yes, mentor or father -in-law 😉 His son is too sexy, absolutely opposite of father (and he once talked with me on twitter, so now I love him even more 🙂 )

• OMG! I would be jealous, except I got to talk to Maddy on twitter, so I rule all.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 3:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Maddy is the best! I was lucky too, but like 2 years ago, when he answered me. The sweetest thing, in both Maddy and Harshvardhan that they don’t limit themselfes to just answer with simple yes, no, thanks, but write somthing “real”. I tweet that I liked Mirzya, and Harsh first answered thank you, or something, and than, he must have checked my profile (where I wrote I’m from Poland), and told me that polish cameraman worked in Mirzya, and that thanks to him the movie was co beautifuly filmed. So nice of him 🙂

• That is SO CUTE!!! Oh my gosh! I was neutral on Harsh (some of his interviews didn’t come off that well), but that may have won me over.

Liked by 2 people

• Wine and Tamasha seem like a great pairing! The long hair and stubble is really quite nice and I kind of like the glasses.

• Definitely do rewatch Rockstar, the first time I watched it in a theatre I and my two other pals were like “er so its over thats it? ok then no real idea what we saw or were supposed to see but great music though”. and then on rewatches it really does get you.

About the AIB podcast, and I do realize that different people see different things in a video depending on some factors, but you painted a partial picture and not the whole thing. firstly it was a very informal chat like one you have with your buddies, relaxed and just chatting casually and frankly which almost never happens with celebrities. Ranbir is almost too honest for his own good even in regular media interactions and so this chat was just him as you are likely to see even if you knew him personally.

As for the actual topics itself, he does say Basu has a chaotic way of working which you mentioned but I can only see it as complaining or bitching if that is all one wants or even expects to see. He then says that is just how Basu works and it was the same in Barfi as well but they believed in it and went with it and it succeeded, but sure yes JJ failed and nevertheless there is no problem between them and he is open to working with him again. I can’t believe it is being taken as him being blamey etc. He is just honest like that, there are people you hate in many ways but still trust and believe overall because you know them closely.

And the web series lol come on, he was frankly not even aware of it’s potential so just curiously asks them if and how the economics of it can challenge the film industry etc. They then ask him if he is open to working in one with them and he laughs it off but later jokes that if Dutt also fails then he is in lol. And then they let out how he behaves like an eager enthusiastic kid when around SRK haha! genuinely embarrassed him but all in good fun.

But I suppose the image that kind of blunt honesty creates is one of an arrogant and brash attitude which rubs many people the wrong way.

• I am definitely planning to rewatch Rockstar and finally watch Barfi and Rocket Singh. I’m actually finally getting to watching Raj Kapoor’s Awara (I’ve only seen Shree 420 and Chori Chori so far of his) and it really does hit home what a legacy Ranbir has to deal with and then the whole affair with Nargis and isn’t it strange and fitting in a way that his grandson will be playing her son in a film (this is the surrealism of Bollywood for me). And now I think I’m also determined to watch a lot more Raj Kapoor films, too. Awara really is a stunning film and the romance of it is incredible.

Back to Ranbir in AIB, remember with all of my criticism of how he comes across to viewers (or at least me) I still find him fascinating. He may be too honest for his own good. Too sheltered and naive, but also I still think he doesn’t understand the mansplaining thing and the AIB guys properly pointed that out. And his complete ignorance of the impact that web series are having globally is actually pretty concerning if he’ll ever turn to producing again. Richa Chaddha and Saif Ali Khan (though he’s an absolutely terrifying idiot when it comes to his recent statement on nepotism) at least recognize the future of the entertainment market and are changing with the times. Maybe Ranbir will change eventually, but he really does live in a weird Kapoor bubble.

• Yeah it is just the way he is, he is not apologetic about it, he admits he has a lot to work on to be more sociable etc. And yes he is cocky. But as they say, it is better to be frank like him so everyone knows exactly what they’re getting (good or bad) rather than those who put on a mask.

4. I like the trailer, and since yesterday I couldn’t be more excited about this movie because I heard it will be shown here and maybe, maybe I will see it!!!! There is even SRK video where he says: hey Italy, go and see my new movie. So excited!

• THAT IS SO GREAT!!!! I really hope you can see it on the big screen.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 9:03 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. One of these days SRK is going to do a film which isn’t made to appeal to the sensibilities of NRIs (from the 90s) and NRI wannabes. Judging just by the trailer, I would have liked it much more had it been set in Mumbai. Or Bangalore. Or Calcutta. Or Delhi. I liked the bad guy character. Not sure I want to watch Raj rushing through Europe with Simran missing trains again. The road comedy (or romcom) has been done to death by this guy.

• Well, to be fair, my reaction was less “Another SRK roadtrip/overseas film” and more “Another Imtiaz Ali travel film”. The man cannot write a plot without travel involved! And I don’t think he can write a romance either. He must have had some kind of pivotal personal romance on a college trip and has never gotten over it. Or else he is just in love with the Before Sunrise films.

But yeah, I want more Raees SRK! And Fan. I don’t know about filming locations for the dwarf movie, but I would love it if not only he is playing a dwarf, but he is playing all Indian dwarf. That might be almost as different for him as the height thing.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:00 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Jane Eyre! Jane Eyre! I wrote a fanfic about it and I didn’t realize until halfway through how perfect he is as Rochester. Ugly, clever, average height, but with a strange sexual magnetism mostly thanks to his brain. Also an undercurrent of decency hidden by some wild behavior (he never had to raise Adele (name?), or treat her so kindly).

Really, any kind of dark classic Gothic hero is perfect for him. I love putting him in Austen, but he doesn’t fit nearly as well in her sort of mannered witty world as he does in the really wild places.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I can tell you why my visit to your blog reduced, I came here to read movie reviews and your take on them. But then you stopped doing them(at least you are doing malayalam, thank god!), Instead you did a gazillion post on bahubali(all of them I skipped), family history of actors and Gandhi family( again, skipped), x reasons why you like some actor etc.
    The main Highlight of your blog was movie reviews and all else were fillers(atleast that is what I felt when I came here) but then you started concentrating more on fillers instead of movie reviews.

Please go back to watching movies and reviewing them, please.

• Oh dear, I am sorry! I am trying to be good about reviewing movies every week, that’s why I switched to a regular schedule. There is now a Malayalam film on Mondays, Tamil or Telugu on Tuesdays, and Hindi of some kind on Fridays, in addition to the new Hindi movies I see and review every Friday. That is 12 hours of movie watching, which is all that is humanly possible if I am also working full time (which I am) and taking time to eat and sleep.

I am sorry you don’t enjoy the other posts, I try to balance out what is interesting for a variety of people. The posts on history of film/India were getting less popular, so I dropped them to twice a week instead. The Bahubali posts are the most popular I have ever written, so I can’t really apologize for them.

I’m afraid there won’t be any more movie reviews than this any time in future, unless you would like to pay me so I can write and watch full time 🙂 If you are interested in that, you can always donate to the patreon or paypal account for the website.

• +1.

There are so many things to love about this blog, including the choice of topics, the strong opinions, healthy debates, the writing, the range and the knowledge. Many of us love it exactly as it is!

• Ditto, I also like the range of types of posts you do. I’m obviously a bit invested in the community aspect of it…I love reading people’s comments on Mondays and Wednesdays, writing my own, and seeing your responses and I personally love the “filler” stuff. I know you’re extremely diligent about responding immediately which also leads to a nice real-time conversation, but I don’t think any of us would be upset if that wasn’t the norm. It cultivates a loyal readership but not if it stresses you out on top of keeping up with your posting schedule.

I like reading your take on new trailers and songs. Since I only read reviews after I’ve seen a film and will only usually read your new release non-spoiler film reviews, I like the variety.

P.S. Since I can’t financially support you (living on a single income in a city with student loan debt is difficult and when I have the opportunity to donate money I donate to Planned Parenthood and charities, etc.), I need to be better at promoting you through my social media communities. Just not sure there’s much overlap there but I’ll try. Hobbies are time consuming and can be really labor intensive, I know. Yours is just a lot more public than most. That being said, I would love for you to monetize your hobby (that’s not the perfect word for it, I know) some way, I’m surprised some media outlet hasn’t already reached out to you to publish your work? Could you start a site with advertisements? I’m sure you’ve thought of these things!

• Also, there are probably good reasons why you and Melanie would want to do your own thing and have total control of your own site, but I would love to see a joint blog from you guys! You could share the load…just sayin’. You’re already doing podcasts together.

• All of this to say, you’re appreciated and you shouldn’t change! Obviously, I read you almost daily and love interacting with others on the site, too. But something you’re doing essentially for free should never be too stressful. I don’t even know you but I worry about burnout! There was another blogger that burned out on Hindi film fandom a while back and I still miss reading her blog.

• Oh, I keep forgetting to mention. I did buy your book when I first started reading your blog…so I helped a tiny bit there:)

• You did! You really really did! And like I said, that’s what I want more than anything. Thank you!

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, I never burn out. I just get bored and add on something new. I went from working full time and grad school, to working full time and grad school and chairing a church committee, to working full time and grad school and chairing a church committee and twriting a book, to working full time and writing a book and writing a blog and church committee and teaching Sunday school. And then I dropped the book and stayed with just the blog, and started adding on all the podcast and regular posting schedule and everything. I just finished the whole epic moving apartments challenge on top of the other stuff, so either I am going to start chairing a 2nd church committee (just got asked yesterday), or write another book or something else. Maybe a dog?

If I could ever quit my job, I would probably just become board chair of the church and pick up two more volunteering commitments to fill the gap somehow.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• We have such different takes on films! Which is good, of course. Anyway, for now I like having two different options out there in the world with us linking back and forth to each other as appropriate. Maybe a joint conversational type blog post at some point, but then we get into adding another regular post to Margaret’s schedule 🙂

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, definitely donate to other people before me! I’m your luxury donation option, the equivalent of treating yourself to a really really fancy Starbucks drink.

And no, no media outlets reach out to me, the reverse in fact, I reach out to them and they are all “yeah, there’s no audience for that/we aren’t interested/we won’t even bother to respond”. Hosting my own website is apparently more likely than convincing another outlet that I am smart and there is an audience for me. I have done some research, hosting a website and placing my own ads would lead to a slight increase in ad revenue versus what WordPress is willing to share with me. But it would cost a couple hundred a month, and I am no where near ever getting that in ad revenue (right now, my highest ad income month was $40 thanks to the Bahubali spoiler post that attracted thousands like moths to a flame) to off set the cost of self-hosting.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:17 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was sure you’d done your research! Your ads are so unobtrusive, I barely notice them…whoops, maybe I shouldn’t say that or WordPress will put them everywhere! Maybe some day when you win the lottery, right?!

In the meantime, you do have a loyal, appreciative, and growing audience (especially among Bahubali fans) and you have the love of film! That’s not bad:)

• It’s not bad at all! If I ever do burn out, it will be because I lose the audience. I can never write into a void, I need to feel like someone is there. But if someone is there, I can give and give and give and it makes me sooooooooooooooooooo happy (this might be related to why my checking account completely empties every Christmas).

And yeah, win the lottery, blog full time, take over my church entirely, get 3 dogs! It’s the dream! Oh, and I was going to fly to IIFA every year, but now procrastinatrix gave us the report, so I don’t have to.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. Doesn’t Imtiaz ever tire of making the same movie over and over again? They are all variations of the same old story where everyone dresses the same, talks the same, and does the same thing, but just in different countries. This looks like a hash of all his other movies, like many of you have pointed out.

Moreover, I want Shahrukh acting his age. More roles like “Dear Zindagi” at least where he can bring all his charm and screen presence to a role that actually makes sense, and isn’t more of just “SRK being SRK in a different story”. He is capable of so much more, and I feel like he has settled for mediocrity (at least in terms of roles) for most of his career. He has some exceptional movies that are so good but so rare that it just makes the rest of his movies seem all the more wasteful.

I am sick of bubbly, effervescent Anushka as well. Another example of being stereotyped into the same old roles again and again (unless she produces her own movies to challenge herself with new roles) – where is the creativity? Why not write interesting roles for an actor who is again far more talented than these scripts give credit for?

• Well, as I feel obligated to keep reminding people, he did do Fan just last year and it flopped terrible and lost a lot of people a lot of money. Which is why he has to do this film to make that money back.

But yes, absolutely, it would be great to see him in more movies where he plays his own age if at all possible! And Anushka really needs to be in more varied roles. Although Phillauri was kind of different, more of a quietly strong village girl type who didn’t say much. Which goes to your point, that she might be producing in order to vary her options.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:09 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: