My 7 favorite Shahrukh co-stars! Obviously, you know who number one is. But the others may surprise you! (I’ve been doing this for 9 days now, 16 favorite films here, 15 favorite fanvids here, 14 favorite pictures here, 13 sad facts here, 12 happy facts here, 11 best films here, 10 best quotes here, 9 best performances here, 8 best ads here)
7. Kareena Kapoor Khan: When I think of jodis, I think of them as individuals, being able to perform well opposite each other and bring out the best in each other. And I also think of that sort of magical 3rd element that comes out when they are onscreen together. Kareena and Shahrukh really bring out good stuff in each other, and look great together, and all of that. But, for me, there just isn’t as much of that kind of 3rd element that comes out through the magic of chemistry. But they do look really good opposite each other! Which is why Kareena is on the list, but the last one on it.
6. Divya Bharti: Shahrukh’s first co-star! Both of them were just little babies in their films together, and tragically we never really got to see Divya grow up. But there was something there, some kind of magic and chemistry between them. I really believed they loved each other.
5. Arjun Rampal: Word is, post-Ra.One, they aren’t that close any more. But for a while, they really were. Which is why Arjun got the role in Don and in Om Shanti Om and in Ra.One. And I love them together! Shahrukh brings out a kind of madness in Arjun’s performance and wildness in Arjun’s performance, but Arjun is still so calm and beautiful, he kind of makes Shahrukh look extra crazy and unpredictable and un-heroic in contrast. I love that, how they are always set up as yin and yang in their films. Plus, of course, raw sexual tension!
4. Deepika Padukone: I wasn’t that fond of them as a couple in Om Shanti Om, they were fine, nothing spectacular, I was more interested in seeing Shahrukh with Shreyas Talpade than with Deepika. But then in Chennai Express, excellence!!!!! His cocky older guy attitude was amazing when contrasted with her total lack of respect or interest in his opinion. And she had such strength! Such sure strength, more than he did. Which was exactly why they worked in Happy New Year too. Shahrukh thinks he has all the cards and knows everything, and then Deepika constantly sets him back on his heels.
3. Saif Ali Khan: Top 3 might seem high, but come on! Kal Ho Na Ho had some all time great couple scenes, and they weren’t between Shahrukh and Preity! Plus, there were all the ads and the joint hosting and everything else. The world knew it had lightning in a bottle with those two. It’s kind of amazing they hadn’t co-starred before and haven’t since, especially since Shahrukh is childhood friends with Saif’s first wife.
2. Juhi Chawla: I think, in terms of knowing each other and enjoying working together and really loving each other in real life, Juhi is his best co-star.
(Shahrukh and Juhi at her brother’s funeral)
She’s known him since his first few years in the industry, they are business partners, they’ve worked together in 10 movies, she’s played everything from his wife to his sister-in-law to the terrified object of his affection.
1.1. Kajol: Really, did this surprise anyone? Of course it’s Kajol!!! There’s some kind of magic between them that is unusual not just for Shahrukh, but for, like, the world! I don’t know if there is another couple onscreen that has ever been like them. Maybe Raj and Nargis. Or Fred and Ginger. But it’s definitely a once in a generation kind of thing.